For an email to be opened it needs to look and feel like it’s coming…
Best Practices For Sending Email Marketing Campaigns
10 Aug 2017
This blog is part 3 of a 3 part series about Email Marketing Guidelines. A few weeks back we wrote a blog on the best content to include in your emails. If you missed these previous posts you can read them here:
- Part 1: Email Marketing - Optimise your Emails to Increase Open Rates
- Part 2: Email Marketing - The Importance of Email Content
Professional, but Unique
In your company’s marketing emails, it is important to use clarity, but also keep them interesting. There is a fine line between what is friendly and what is unprofessional. This is why it is important to test the emails with Multivariate tests and A/B tests in order to see what strategies work best for your business.
- Multivariate Testing allows testing for up to 8 campaign with varied subject lines, from names, content, and send times simultaneously to see which approach works best for boosting open rates and click rates.
- A/B Testing lets you divide a subscriber list and send one variation of a newsletter to one group and a different one to another group of subscribers. Once the two newsletters have been sent see which one has the highest open rate and click through rate and send that to any remaining subscribers. E.g. You can send Email A to 25% of subscribers and Email B to another 25% of subscribers, the winning email can then be sent to the remaining 50%
Make sure to always keep the subject line honest and true to the content in the email. Another important detail is to offer an easy opt-out for the person receiving the email such as an “unsubscribe” button. You do not want users to feel trapped by your email campaigns because that will give them a negative association with your business.
Things to Consider
- Time of the day - Research shows that 53% of emails are opened during normal business hours, between 9am-5pm. Email activity hits its stride between 9am-11am. Also, research shows that 24% of emails are opened after work hours between 6pm-11pm when people are commuting from work.
- Day of the week - Open rates appear to be higher on the weekends. However, most businesses tend to send their emails either on Mondays or Fridays. This is important to monitor for your business as these days can vary greatly depending on the business sector.
- Sending too many emails can overwhelm the intended consumer leading them to unsubscribe.
- According to MarketingSherpa, the majority of users say that they prefer to receive an email from a brand once a week or less. About 61% of consumers say “at least once a week” is best, 87% of consumers want to receive emails “at least monthly” and about 15% want to receive emails daily.
- Send Authenticated Emails: emails that fail authentication will most likely be sent to spam folder. Most email services such as Outlook, Gmail and Yahoo use authentication to protect their users from unwanted mail. You will need to authorize your Email Service Provider (ESPs) to send on your behalf. You can do this by modifying the DNS records associated with a domain name you own. From then on any email sent through Campaign Monitor, MailChimp etc is verified as coming from you.
- Permissions: It is important to only send emails to people who have given you their permission to receive them.
- Avoid Spam Flagging Words: Certain words are automatically flagged as spam so it is important to avoid these words. Some examples are: For Free, Click Below and Congratulations.
Also, remember to consider your users. The vast majority of consumers check their emails on their phones so it is very important to make sure to have the email campaign optimised for mobile devices.
What Not To Do
There are certain things that companies should refrain from doing when putting together an email campaign. Do not send your email without testing it. Forgetting to do this can lead to many potential problems. It is important to use great thought and care when formulating your email marketing campaign. If a person asks to be unsubscribed it is very important to remove them from the mailing list as soon as possible. Failing to do so can result in an angry customer and lawsuits.
If you would like advice on how to establish email guidelines for your company or are interested in how email marketing can grow your business get in touch with us. We are here to help!